The Do More Agriculture Foundation hosted the Walk With Me campaign on World Mental Health Day according to a release.
The Do More Agriculture Foundation (Do More Ag) launched the Walk With Me campaign, to coincide with World Mental Health Day, which was on Oct. 10. This campaign’s goal is to raise mental health awareness and honour those who have been lost to suicide in the agriculture community. Participants are encouraged invite other to go for a walk, and share their memories and stories to foster a supportive and understanding environment.
“I regularly walk and journal, and created a short poem called ‘Walk with me’ that outlined the many feelings that someone might have when their mental health is low,” said Chris Manley, the founder of the Walk With Me campaign and a beef and sheep farmer in East Devon, England. “I thought to myself how lucky I am to have support, and wouldn’t it be terrible if someone felt alone, particularly on a farm? So, I decided to post a video on social media of me walking and reciting the poem to start the campaign, to encourage people to walk and talk, as a step towards recovery.”
Do More Agriculture also shared that BASF Canada Agricultural Solutions will match the donations to the DMA website up to $10,000as a part of the Walk With Me campaign. The partnership aims to broaden the reach of the campaign and support mental health initiatives in the agriculture industry.
“No one should ever have to feel alone in their struggles, and having access to mental health support and resources is essential for those working in agriculture,” said Tabetha Boot, head of communications and industry relations for BASF. “BASF is proud to partner with Do More Ag to match Walk With Me donations up to $10,000 to help provide the agriculture community, especially farmers, with greater access to a support network that shares their experience and struggles.”
The Walk With Me campaign started Oct. 10 and runs through Oct. 20.
Ways to get involved include:
- Go for a Walk: Walk and talk with a friend in person or over the phone. Use the hashtag #WalkWithMe and tag @domoreag online to share your experience on social media. Let’s take steps together towards better mental health.
- Honouring others: Share the stories of those who have lost someone to mental illness. By honouring their memory, we raise awareness and promote understanding of the challenges faced by individuals and families affected by mental health challenges.
- Share Your Story: Share your thoughts, experiences, and stories about mental health. By sharing, you can inspire hope, create a sense of community, and support members of the agriculture industry.
- Donate: Your generous donations directly support our three key pillars: awareness, community support, and mental health resources in the agriculture industry. Visit our website to make your contribution. With BASF matching donations up to $10,000, your generosity will have double the impact in supporting mental wellness in our community.
- Participate in the “Walk With Me” Workshop: A starting point for more inclusive and supportive conversations around mental wellbeing in agriculture. Megz Reynolds will guide participants through the objectives of the “Walk With Me” Campaign and elaborate on various ways to get involved. Register now at Eventbrite.”