Potato production can disrupt the soil in a very aggressive way, but there are a number of agronomic measures farmers can follow to bolster soil health.
In this webinar, we will talk about practices to help increase the soil’s capacity for potato production, including:
• Why organic matter is important for soil structure.
• How biodiversity in the soil can help suppress soil-borne disease and pest pathogens.
• Using cover crops, minimizing tillage and going to longer rotations.
• Integrating livestock into the system.
• Bob Larkin, Research Plant Pathologist, U.S. Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Service, New England Plant, Soil and Water Lab
• Wayne Honeycutt, President and CEO, Soil Health Institute
• Janet Kanters, Managing Editor with Spud Smart