Fiskel Farms of Carberry, Man. was named the McCain 2016 crop year champion potato grower for the McCain Manitoba plants during the annual Growers’ Appreciation Banquet held at Canad Inns in Portage la Prairie. Approximately 190 guests gathered to celebrate the top growers and their achievements.
This is the second time Karen, Rick and son Derek Fiskel have achieved the champion grower award.
Special guest Dan Sawatsky, Keystone Potato Producers Association manager, was on hand to extend congratulations to Fiskel Farms and all of the McCain growers. “I would like to thank McCain for hosting this banquet. A lot of time and effort goes into growing a high quality crop of potatoes and we, the growers, truly appreciate this annual event that recognizes this.”
The growers who qualified for the top 10 roster, in order of final standing were:
- Fiskel Farms (Champion Grower – Rick and Karen Fiskel with son Derek)
- Bailey Farms (Terry and Lori Bailey with daughter Kelsey and son Thomas)
- Hood Farms (Kevin and Erin Hood with their father Bruce Hood)
- Spud Plains Farms (Paul and Kim Adriaansen)
- E and F Baron Farms (Earl and Faye Baron and son David)
- Sprucewood Colony Farms (Joel Waldner and Mike Hofer)
- Dickson Farms Ventures (Don and Pat Dickson with sons Derrick and Trevor)
- Acadia Colony Farms (Arnold, Isaiah and John Hofer Jr.)
- Hespler Farms (Wayne Derksen and brother in-law Richard Heide)
- Mursan Farms (Murray and Sandy Turner with sons Brett and Keaton)
New this year was the top innovator award, which was presented to Levi and Lance Hofer of Northport Potato Growers located near Portage la Prairie.