Statistics Canada has released their most recent Canadian potato production statistics. Overall, potato production in Canada was up over 2015.
- Potato production was 105.2 million hundredweight (4.7 million tonnes) in 2016, up 0.5% from 2015.
- Production in British Columbia increased 41.8% to 315.0 hundredweight per acre.
- Ontario, which experienced extreme summer heat and drought, saw production and yield fall 17.2% compared with a year earlier.
- Harvested area edged down 0.2% from 2015.
- In 2016, Prince Edward Island represented 24.5% of total potato production and Manitoba 21.3%.