What innovative products are leading the Canadian potato industry into the future?
With changing weather conditions and disease threats, those in the potato industry are always working to adapt to keep growing spuds. These adaptations are happening in various ways but at the heart of them is new technologies.
To take a closer look at what these new technologies are, Spud Smart named the 10 most innovative products in the Canadian potato industry for 2023. This is the second time our magazine has hosted this contest.
Our team received multiple incredible applications from across the potato industry, from processing to field. Choosing the 10 products was a challenge and those selected by our editorial board were named based on a combination of the following:
- It must have been launched in Canada after Jan. 1, 2020
- It must be related to potatoes in some way (it could be in food processing, as long as potatoes were a target crop)
- Its overall impact on the industry
- The potential for scalability
- Widespread use in the potato industry
This led us to 10 products. We’ve listed our Top 10 Innovations on the next pages by category.