Kirby Sawatzky has been director of Parkland Seed Potatoes since 1997. Kirby started his career in the wholesale produce industry over 30 years ago working as a produce buyer and manager at Western Grocers (Loblaws) and later at Federated Co-op. In 1994, Kirby started in the potato industry managing seed potato sales at Edmonton Potato Growers. Three years later, Kirby started Parkland Seed Potatoes, buying and selling seed potatoes within Canada, the western U.S., and Mexico. After a few years, Parkland joined forces with Agrico and introduced the Agrico potato varieties to North America. Under Kirby’s leadership, Parkland has evolved from a brokerage company to a potato variety company, marketing the Agrico varieties, and increasing their presence in Canada and the U.S. under the Parkland potato varieties banner.
Articles by Kirby Sawatzky
- Arm Yourself Against PVY
- Building Momentum for Canadian Potatoes in International Markets
- Potato Industry Moving Towards Earlier Generation Seed
- Dry Harvest Conditions = Near-Term and Long-Term Challenges
- Lab Testing: Unfortunate Cost or Priority Investment?
- Growing Relationships
- Make Time for Field Evaluation Days
- Success with Organics Depends on Starting with the Right Seed
- Potatoes are Healthy……Again
- Best Investment? Clean Seed
- Benefits of Proper Seed Potato Handling and Shipping
- Traceability Should be a Priority for Every Producer
- New Potato Varieties Meet Changing Industry Needs